Bibliography and References
American Peony Society, Bulletins from 1915 to date.
Anderson, George, A Monograph of the Genus Paeonia, Transactions of the Lin-naean Society, London, 1818.
Bailey, Liberty Hyde, Standard Cyclopedia of Horticulture, 1914, 1930, etc.
Baker, John Gilbert, Paeonies, Monograph in Gardeners' Chronicle, 1884.
Bean, William Jackson, Trees and Shrubs Hardy in British Isles, 1915.
Huth, Ernest, Monographic der Gattung Paeonia, (Monograph of the Genus Paeonia), Botanische Jahrbuch, 1891.
Lynch, Robert Irwin, A New Classification of the Genus Paeonia, Journal of the Royal Horticultural Society, 1890.
Rehder, Alfred, Manual of Cultivated Trees and Shrubs, 1927, 1940, etc.
Sargent, Charles Sprague, Editor, Plantae Wilsonianae, 1913.
Saunders, Arthur Percy, various Bulletins, American Peony Society, 1915-1950.
Stern, Frederick Claude, A Study of the Genus Paeonia, Royal Horticultural Society, 1946.
Wister, John C, The Moutan Tree Peony, published in Peonies; The Manual of the American Peony Society, Edited by James Boyd, 1928.
, Supplement to the above in Bulletin, American Peony Society, September 1944.
Also miscellaneous articles in: Bon Jardinier Almanac, 1813-1860. Flore des Serres, 1849. Florist and Pomologist, 1873. The Garden, 1887, 1909, etc. Garden and Forest, 1888-1897. Gardeners' Chronicle, 1841 to date. Journal d'Horticulture, 1845. Revue Horticole, 1837 to date. Revue Horticole Belgique, 1890.
1. Hoffman, Johann, Kultur der Pioenen, Royal Netherlands Horticultural Society, reports for 1848. Dutch translations of "Notes Relating to the History, Distribution and Cultivation of Paeony in China and Japan" from the original Chinese. This was retranslated into English by Polman-Mooy in Paxton's Magazine of Botany, 1947.
2. Nieuhof, Translations in English, 1669. Quoted in Floral Cabinet, 1857, p. 60.
3. Sabine, Joseph, Transactions of the Horticultural Society of London, June 6, 1826. With quotations from George An-derson's Monograph, cf. Also it? Botanical Magazine and Botanical Cabinet.
4. Fortune, Robert, Gardeners' Chronicle, February 7, 1880, pp. 179-180.
5. Bean, William Jackson, Trees and Shrubs Hardy in British Isles, Vol. II, p. 121.
6. Sabine, Joseph, See Reference 3 above.
7. Sabine, Joseph, See Reference 3 above.
8. Sabine, Joseph, See Reference 3 above.
9. Sabine, Joseph, See Reference 3 above.
10. Watson, William, Garden and Forest, July 2, 1890.
11. Hovey, Charles Mason, American Gardener's Magazine, 1836-1839.
12. Gardeners' Chronicle, Vol. XXIX, 1863, p. 36.
13. Leichtlin, Max, The Garden, January 10, 1885.
14. Sabine, Joseph, See Reference 3 above.
15. Purdom, W., Letters to Veitch, June 17, 1910 and March 20, 1911.
16. Farrer, Reginald John, On the Eaves of the Worli, 1926, pp. 110 et seq.
17. Wilson, Ernest Henry, in the Introduction to A Monograph of Azaleas.
18. Hoffman, Johann, See Reference 1 above.
19. Kaempfer, Engelbert, Amoenilates Ex-oticae, 1712, p. 862.
20. Thunberg, Carl Peter, Flora Japonica, 1784.
"Indicated by italicized numbers in parenthesis fa. the text.
21. von Siebold, P. F., Flore des Jardins, 1858, p. 1.
22. Trollope, Arboretum Coreense, circa 1920.
23. Conder, Josiah, The Floral Art of Japan, p. 14. Quoted in Gardeners' Chronicle, November 9, 1901, p. 336.
24. Berger, H. H., Florist Exchange, quoted in Gardeners' Chronicle, January 28, 1899.
25. Landreth, D., Floral Magazine and Botanical Repository, Philadelphia, 1832.
26. Hovey, Charles Mason, See Reference 11 above.
27. Hovey, Charles Mason, See Reference 11 above.
28. Hoffman, Johann, See Reference 1 above.
29. Bailly, E., Bouture en Ecusson, Revue Horticole, 1860, pp. 65-66.
30. Watson, William, See Reference 10 above.
31. Hoffman, Johann, See Reference 1 above.
32. Barton, Lela V., Seedling Production of Tree Peony, Contributions, Boyce Thompson Institute, Vol. 3, 1933.
33. Whetzel, H. H., Diseases of the Peony, Transactions Massachusetts Horticultural Society, 1915. (Reprinted in Mrs. Edward Harding's The Book of the Peony, 1917, Appendix B, pp. 237-254.) Bernard O. Dodge and Harold N. Rick-ett Diseases and Pests of Ornamental Plants, Revised Edition, 1948, pp. 450-454, etc.
34. Comstock, John Henry, An Introduction to Entomology, 1895. Revised Edition, 1953, p. 981. A. S. Packard, Guide to the Study of Insects, 1870, 1897.
35. See list? in Bulletins, American Peony Society, September 1943, January 1953, etc.
36. See Bulletins, The American Iris Society.
37. See Daffodil Year Books, Royal Horticultural Society.
38. See: Millais, J. G., Rhododendrons, 1917, 1924.
Bowers, Clement G., Rhododendrons and Azaleas, 1936.
Rhododendron Year Books, Royal Horticultural Society.
National Horticultural Magazine, The Azalea Handbook, January 1952.
39. Wister, John C, Bulletin, Garden Club of America, November 1951.